Effective Communication - Understanding Behaviour

People communicate using words (7%), tone (38%) and body language (55%). With tone and body language combining to create our behaviour, 93% of the communication is being conveyed with what we are doing.  Often the communication is judged instead of being understood and interpreted, as people assume their way of behaving is best. This workshop will enable participants to better understand their team, what drives the behaviour and how to ensure they are communicating the way they intend, developing leadership communication skills to better manage team interactions and client relationships.

Key content

  • Marsdens DISC theory: understanding behavioural theory for communication.
  • Personal insight: understanding what my behavioural tendencies are and how they might be perceived.
  • Understanding others: identifying behaviour, and understanding the communication and appreciating differences.
  • Understanding bad behaviour: where does it come from and what is it communicating.
  • Being a flexible communicator and building trust: application of flexible behaviour.

Who should attend?

This course is open to any leader working in the local government sector and will be of particular interest to:
  • Experienced team leaders
  • Experienced supervisors
  • Managers
  • Any leader wanting to be a better communicator

Benefits for the delegate

Participants will leave this workshop with a thorough understanding of their own communication preference, and a willingness and ability to be flexible with their communication style to improve interactions with colleagues and the community.

Benefits for council

Council can expect communication to improve significantly internally and externally, with participants new understanding and empowerment of effective communication.

Delivered in council

If you have a number of people at your council or in your region that would benefit from this programme, this course is available for in council delivery.  With any group size up to 20, room size permitting, we will come to your council and deliver a tailored version of the course designed for your team members. 

For the cost of this course to be delivered at your council or in your region please contact
Mia Wall
Learning and Development Coordinator
coordinator@lgprofessionals.com.au 
02 8297 1201 

Capabilities framework

The descriptor level for the course is set at an ‘Intermediate’ level and will cover the following capabilities:

Personal attributes:   Value diversity
 Manage self  
Relationships:  Communicate effectively 
 Influence and negotiate 
Results:  Think and solve problems
 Demonstrate accountability
People management:    Manage and develop people  
 Optimise business outcomes        
To discuss options and ways to tailor the content to your local council please contact Gavin at LG Professionals, NSW:

Gavin Carnegie, Learning and Development Manager
P 02 8297 1211          
M 0408 944 107          
E trainer@lgprofessionals.com.au